Edited by Angel York
- ITDP published an excellent report: Ideas to Accelerate Parking Reform in the United States. The report was compiled by Parking Reform Network member, Martha Roskowski, and draws on interviews with more than 40 parking reformers and experts. This is a must read.
Roskowski joined with PRN’s Tony Jordan, Transportation for America director Beth Osborne, and Darryl Young from the Summit Foundation to discuss this report in the latest episode of the Federal Mobility Policy Update.
- Todd Litman published a new report on Win-Win Transportation Emission Reduction Strategies, many of which are parking related.
- Paul Barter has released a new Parking Reform Atlas which highlights case studies of various reforms around the world, check it out!
News from PRN members
- Andreea Udrea was featured in this D Magazine profile: She Came To Fix The Parking
- Dallas, TX is still working on reforms and Nathaniel Barrett live-tweets the action.
- Paul Barter has published part two of his interview with Patrick Siegman on the Reinventing Parking Podcast. This episode deals with on-street parking management in San Francisco and Ventura, CA.
- Here’s a podcast we missed from a few months back Amazing Places: The High Cost of Free Parking featuring Todd Litman.
- Dan Allison from Sacramento, CA presents the latest in his More Housing, Less Parking series.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- A renter with limited mobility in Revere, MA applied for an accessible parking space in front of her new home, and was denied her rights.
- Lost and found: Finding a car parking spot in Burlington, VT just got easier
- Wes Guckert thinks Retrofitting Parking Garages Could Help With Affordable Housing Shortage
- A Detroit, MI parking structure orphaned after its arena was demolished may see new life as a “mobility hub.”
- While some places may be repurposing garages, the city of Melbourne, FL is pursuing a project to build a new 500+ stall garage as part of a development package for a hotel.
- Business leaders in Sarasota, FL are also dreaming big about a new public parking structure.
- Seattle, WA area’s Sound Transit agency is finalizing plans for transit stations which also include new parking structures.
Curb Management & Uses
- Parking: An Underutilized Tool in the Recovery Toolbox
- COVID is reshaping the streets of San Francisco
- Excelsior, MN will start paid parking trial on Second and Third Streets
- Parking to be key challenge in North Bay, CA: parklet outdoor dining becoming permanent post-pandemic
- Why are parking stall markers being removed in Lake Geneva, WI?
- The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection granted $582,000 to halt polluting runoff from just two surface parking lots in Wilkinsburg, PA.
- Boston, MA Planners Approved Over 11,000 New Parking Spaces in 2020
- Most downtown Amherst, MA businesses reject idea to remove car parking as part of North Common renovation
- Parking fees coming to two parks in Metro Vancouver, BC this spring
- Parking permit prices are climbing for London, England owners of high-polluting cars.
- Emerald Isle, NC board signs off on private management of beach access parking lots, new fee system
The News, Mapped
Did you read this far? You must be committed to parking reform! And you’re probably already a member! Please donate if you can.