You don’t want to miss our event this Thursday: Tackling Parking Reform in Hawaii – Taking Down Parking Lots and Unpaving Paradise – featuring Kathleen Rooney from the Ulupono Initiative. Register for free here.
Minneapolis Abolishes Costly Car Parking Mandates
The big news this week is the culmination of years of work in Minneapolis to eliminate damaging minimum parking requirements. On Friday, May 14th, the city council unanimously approved an ordinance implementing the Minneapolis 2040 Plan directive to do so. St. Paul is likely to eliminate its car parking requirements as well.
Philadelphia Looks to Reduce Parking Taxes
Philadelphia, PA may cut its taxes on parking lots and garages by more than 30% this coming July. But Philadelphia parking reformers say the move will undercut climate action and traffic safety goals.
Patrick Siegman breaks it down on Twitter, APA Says Poor Curb Management Costs Billions, and Sec. Pete (briefly) Talks Parking.
PRN Advisory Board member, Patrick Siegman, posted a great twitter thread about the genesis and reasons for California’s AB1401, and the lessons are universally applicable.
While the California APA is causing some to scratch their heads in its opposition to a clean AB1401, the national APA published this article on how poor curb management costs city’s tons of money.
And while it’s a brief mention, it’s notable that the Secretary of Transportation mentioned the potential impact on land use, particularly parking demand, if AV ever become a reality.
Street Eats and Open Streets
- In New Haven, they’ll be dining in the streets when restaurants reopen
- Where Covid’s Car-Free Streets Boosted Business
- Downtown organizers are betting on a car-free Main Street to boost city life in Salt Lake City.
- San Francisco rolls out lower permit fees, discounts for permanent parklet program
- Dozens of St. Petersburg businesses apply for parking space street dining program permit
Redeveloping and Repurposing Car Parking
- Parking Lot near USC sells for 5 million dollars.
- Demolition of Downtown Parking Structure 3 in Santa Monica is approved
- The Parking Podcast: E50: An Interview with Reachel Knight and a Conversation about Convertible Garages
- Here’s How Replacing Parking Lots With Parks Will Transform Downtown Dallas
- Birmingham parking issues to be addressed
- City of Fairmont, West Virginia, aims to restructure parking requirements for downtown redevelopments
- Opinion: A simple solution to downtown Scottsdale’s parking debate
- $100,000 Will Buy You A Single Parking Spot In Brooklyn
- DC’s DDOT Launches New Digital Parking Permit System
- Parking changes coming to downtown Traverse City, MI
- Court ruling allows Chicago to double amount for parking tickets and fines
- Majority of council ready to implement parking plan in Crested Butte, CO
- Mountain View, CA considers more enforcement and paid parking to solve downtown parking woes
- Kew Gardens garage in Queens, NYC could be sustainable