Mapped by Angel York
Parking Reform Network Year-in-Review
We announced part of our line up of speakers for a members-only event on April 21st at 5PM Pacific. Parking Reform Network members are doing great work and you’ll hear all about it if, but you must RSVP to attend. Our speakers will include Sara Bronin from DesegregateCT, Courtney Cobbs from Streetsblog Chicago & Better Streets Chicago, Lori Droste from Berkeley, CA, and Evan Manvel from the Oregon Department of Land Conservation and Development. If you’ve been putting off becoming a member, now’s the time. Members, register here.
Opinions and Commentary
- Why we shouldn’t apply “value capture” to parking reform.
- PRN member David Welton says: Removing parking requirements in Bend, OR is a solution, not a problem
- Bars don’t need big parking lots. Do our cities?
- Opinion: The price of parking decals should be lowered or eliminated at Rollins College in Orlando, FL
- Let Inga Tell You: A solution to La Jolla, CA’s parking problem for the techno-challenged
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Potential repeal of West Hartford, CT parking ban spurs talk of housing, equity and traffic safety issues
- The Walmart parking lot: How a symbol of capitalism became an oasis for RVers and van dwellers
- Bill would reserve half of all Maui beach parking for residents
- South Side revival: City eyes $9.1 million parking garage for Village on Park mall in Madison, WI
California AB 1401
Supporters of this statewide bill, which would prohibit mandatory car parking requirements within 1/2 mile of high-quality transit corridors and major transit stops, went on a major blitz this week. This is a bill to watch!
- Bill Would Eliminate Problematic Minimum Parking Requirements
- LA Councilwoman Nithya Raman supports end to parking mandates near public transit
- California Mayors, City Councilors, Equity Leaders Endorse California AB 1401 to End Costly Parking Mandates
- Fewer parking spaces for new California homes, shops? It could happen
- Donald Shoup’s Letter in Support of AB 1401
Redevelopment and Repurposing of Parking
- The mall is dead. Long live the mall
- White Sox and fans would benefit from transforming parking lots into a neighborhood
- Stonestown development faces unfamiliar S.F. housing criticism: Is it dense enough?
Revenue and Budgets
- February paid parking nets more than $100,000 for the City of Lake Geneva, WI
- Baltimore, MD’s budget plan braces for ‘historic lows’ in revenue with parking, hotels decimated by COVID
- Palo Alto, CA eyes another shake-up to parking policies in commercial areas
- Parking rates at the University of Missouri are set to increase. Here’s what you need to know
- Parking meter prices quadruple in Downtown Jacksonville, FL
- Future of downtown parking discussed in Norfolk, NE
- Parking request for proposals tabled in Traverse City, MI
- Virginia Beach, VA neighborhood wants parking plan for Atlantic Park project
- Winona, MN officials gauge parking, growth needs
- A Drive-Thru ‘Museum’ Comes to a Tempe, AZ Parking Structure
- Carmel, CA elected officials consider paid parking — again
Oh hey! And please remember to donate!