Tony collects the piles of news articles, and I’m bringing you this blurb at the top. My highlight of this week’s parking reform news: THE TIARA. What is the tiara and why do I love it so much? Can you find the article that mentions the tiara? My runner-up: could Boston transit go fare-free? -Angel York
Research and Reports
- Parking Standards as a Steering Instrument in Urban Mobility and Planning by EU project PARK4SUMP.
- Reversing Car Dependency by the International Transport Forum.
- The opportunity cost of parking requirements: Would Silicon Valley be richer if its parking requirements were lower? by C.J. Gabbe, Michael Manville, and Taner Osman.
- Free parking for free people: German road laws and rights as constraints on local car parking management by Dr. Elizabeth Taylor.
- Want fewer cars on the roads? Don’t offer parking, research suggests.
- Toronto neighborhood residents upset about plans to turn parking lot into affordable housing
- Getting Around Sacramento Blog – parking instead of housing.
- The War on Cars podcast – Housing for People, Not Cars (interview with PRN member Michael Andersen)
- Why Do Airports Not Want Us To Have Nice Things?
- Parking garage at George Bush Intercontinental Airport to be demolished to make way for new Mickey Leland International Terminal
- Less parking revenue, hotel taxes: NJ towns desperate to borrow after COVID revenue losses
- Deadwood distributes $17.7K in parking funds to 16 non-profits
- East Lansing parking revenue plummets
- Another great thread about potential reforms in Dallas, TX by PRN member Nathaniel Barrett.
- Fayetteville, AR is studying more on-street car parking management.
- Montreal, QC collects twice as much parking revenue as Toronto, ON
- Newark City, DE is dealing with a car “parking shortage” at a popular park.
- The Athletics baseball team in Oakland, CA is planning a new stadium complex with almost 9,000 new car parking stalls.
- Springfield, OH officials looking at future of paid parking in downtown
- Changes on the way for parking in Easton, PA
- Adoption of license plate readers stirs privacy anxieties in Palo Alto, CA
- Walthamstow, England residents fear losing jobs after parking removed
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- Could Boston, MA area transit go fare-free with a trio of taxes, including a tax on sales/leases of car parking stalls?
Streets are for People
Remember: we are our members! Ready to get involved? Send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org or get in touch on the membership Slack.