We’re trying a different format for the news. Less narrative, more bullet points. Let us know what you think (if you have an opinion).
Now for the bite-size narrativeish note.
Editor’s notable link: saving car parking spots after a snowstorm. As neither a driver nor a person who lives in a snowy climate, I’d like to hear discussion on the pros and cons of this tradition. Also – when did this practice start? Has it been around as long as parking spots? What other non-car items do people park in dug-out car parking spots? I’m hoping this is a safe topic, like asking about whether various foods are sandwiches.
Minimum Car Parking Requirements
- PRN Member Nathaniel Barrett has another great thread covering Dallas, TX moves toward lowering required car parking ratios.
- Bend, Oregon councilor proposes city consider removing minimum car parking requirements.
- Toronto Could Remove Car Parking Minimums for New Developments
- Toronto to consider ending car parking minimums on new developments, imposing maximums instead
- Seattle’s reduced parking minimums cut 18,000 stalls and saved over $500 million
Opinions and Op-Eds
- San Franciscans are being asked by the group Urban Environmentalists to sign a petition to start charging for residential on-street car parking.
- There’s no such thing as a free lunch, and no free Old Pasadena parking
- Why is Koreatown parking so bad?
- A Chance to Reclaim the Historic Core of Black Indianapolis
- Should residents of new apartments without on-site parking in Philadelphia have access to permits or is it time for a permit parking blacklist?
- Hartford needs to be a walkable city to thrive, but the city is built around cars rather than people
- Neighbors Fight Elmhurst Restaurant’s Parking Lot Plan
- Most NYers Would Trade Free Parking For Safer Streets, Survey Says
- Pre-pandemic commuters ditch BART parking permits
- Court backs Florida church’s freedom to welcome beachgoers — for now
- Brussels will make slopes of Justice Palace car-free from March
- This Abandoned Parking Garage in Paris Is Now a Mushroom Farm
- City of Naples may have a solution to parking problems [The “solution” is a parking garage… – Ed.]
- Why this Silicon Valley Toyota dealership is turning its car lot into apartments
- Nashville’s expanded ‘sidewalk cafe’ permit extended another year
- Metro Nashville launches Smart Zone to better manage the curb
- 74-unit apartment building proposed for 17th Street in downtown St. Pete
- Court bans app that prevents parking fines in Amsterdam lawsuit
- New parking fines of €40 proposed for Dublin city centre
- Parking Spot Saver Warns, ‘Don’t Park Here. It Be War’
- SCDOT tells Isle of Palms to restore beach parking, rolls back prior approval
Studies, Research, and Reports
- How zoning keeps the number of low-emission neighborhoods artificially low
- This is an interesting survey of the price of residential street parking permits, it’s not perfect, but it’s a good start!