Mapped By Angel York
Parking Reform Network’s Year-in-Review Event
Coming up is our members-only event on April 21st at 5PM Pacific. Be there! Parking Reform Network members are doing great work and you’ll hear all about it if, but you must RSVP to attend. Our speakers will include Sara Bronin from DesegregateCT, Courtney Cobbs from Streetsblog Chicago & Better Streets Chicago, Lori Droste from Berkeley, CA, and Evan Manvel from the Oregon Department of Land Conservation and Development, Andreea Udrea from Dallas, TX, and Martha Roskowski author of the report Ideas to Accelerate Parking Reform in the United States. If you’ve been putting off becoming a member, now’s the time.
Minimum Car Parking Requirements
- It’s time for another twitter thread covering Dallas, TX’s Zoning Ordinance Advisory Committee‘s work on parking, from PRN member Nathaniel Barrett.
- Here’s another twitter thread covering a report from St. Paul, MN in support of ending minimum parking mandates.
- California’s AB 1401, which would prohibit cities from requiring car parking in housing near transit, has passed it’s first committee!
- Donald Shoup said the comments on this post about his letter in support of AB 1401 “confirm [his] claim that most thinking about parking occurs in the reptilian cortex.”
- Denver affordable housing advocate, Rev. Laura Rossbert asks: What do parking requirements have to do with affordable housing?
- Here’s a report cited in the last link detailing the relationship between Parking & Affordable Housing.
- Op-Ed from Bend, Oregon: As Bend Transitions to a City, Be Ready to Talk More about the “Big P”
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Seattle, WA Mayor Durkan revisits push to move parking enforcement from police to Seattle Dept. of Transportation.
- How restrictive zoning shut the middle class out of Greenwich, CT
- PRN member, Paul Barter presented a “Masterclass” for Practical Cities in India: Has Parking Ruined Your City
- Henry Graber, journalist with Slate, author of an upcoming book on parking, and PRN member was on the Sprocket Podcast this week. [no transcript]
- This promotional page from JD Power breaks down the types of parking assist available in vehicles today.
- Is this the year European cities start banning cars?
- Managing the Urban Curb Will Require Good Data, Innovation
- Edinburgh, Scotland City Council deny union claims of blocking increase to hospital parking
- Colchester, England parking: Drivers offered cheaper parking for car parks outside the town centre in new scheme
- Multimodal-friendly Shoal Creek residences in the works in Austin, TX
- Yang, Adams tangle over parking placards in NYC Mayor’s race.
- Mayor: Compromise reached with DCR over Revere Beach, MA parking meters
- Portage La Prairie, Canada is working to fine tune its parking strategy
- Sioux Falls, ND City Council drills parking department on advisory boards, transparency of parking lot sales
- Opinions differ on changes to Emerald Isle, NC beach parking
- Casper, WY Steering Toward $250 Rv Parking Fees, Pilot ‘Parking On The Parkway’ Program
- Downtown Dover, DE might be getting parking meters. One business owner is trying to stop that from happening